Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"God Keeps His Promises"

MORNING PRAYER-- Eternal and merciful Father, I give you humble thanks for all the spiritual and earthly blessings which in your mercy you have poured into my life. Lord, let me live only to love you and glorify your name. Amen.

Psalm 45, Deuteronomy 9:4-12, Hebrews 3:1-11, John 2:13-22

The whole journey of the Israelites is unbelievable to me. I am just now reading the part where these descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are about to enter the land of milk and honey of which they were promised. These people, mostly their forefathers, at this point had endured more hardships than any of us have had to deal with in our times. They've had to deal with slavery, plagues, even sudden death from the Hand of God, but God had to deal with a lot from them as well. Through everything the Israelites did against God, whether it was casting an idol, or complaining, or going into battle when He specifically told them that He would not be with them, He still brought them to the land that He had promised to their ancestors. Is that coming through, or is that coming through?! Although they did not come to that land without consequences, they came to the land.

Sunday, Pastor Chet described the time that the Israelites spent in the deserts as being very necessary. This was a time of testing, a time of teaching them discipline, so that when they finall arrived to the place that God had promised them, they would be able to keep His commandments and decrees with no questions asked. This was so that they could teach their sons and daughters, and they could tell them the miracles which God had been continuously showing them since before their departure from the Egyptians.

Whenever God is putting us through something, or whenever He is putting me through something I should say, it used to take everything out of me and I immediately thought that everything was lost and that this was just my lot in life...... I thought to be miserable was my lot in life. I couldn't be further from the truth. But, times of testing and discipline are necessary for me if I really want to learn to be one of His children. It's not easy, but with misery and trouble comes discipline, faithfulness, and clarity. I know now that He allows me to go through the things that I have gone through, and that I will go through in the future all for His glory, and so that my praise will be all the more full, because I know what its like to be without Him.

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do EVERYTHING him who gives me strength."     Phillippians 4:10-13


EVENING PRAYER-- Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your people and kindle in us the fire of your love. Brin gus rest and renewal through the quiet hours of the night, through Christ our Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments: